Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Forgiveness as a Spiritual Practice

Adinkranotes.com
PRACTICE
52 Weeks of Spiritual Practice
By Deborah Williams

The purpose of the 52 Principles is to develop a partnership, a connection with God. Connecting with God is why we are here; the soul’s desire. To be in communication with the Creator is ideally the most fulfilling life, our best life. The intent of the 52 Principles is God-realization through the daily practice of spiritual principles. Practice the principles with frequency and find God-consciousness through your own efforts. This week’s spiritual principle is Forgiveness.

Forgiveness means to “let go” or to pardon. Forgiveness gives us the opportunity to be honest about our feelings, and supports the unfolding of our true identity; the Truth of who we are. With forgiveness, we keep the lines of communicating with others open. Anger and frustration diverts our energy and prevents and derails us from our vision and focus.  Forgiveness is a win-win for us and others. Forgiveness means that we take full responsibility for our behavior. Forgiveness does not give others the right to be emotionally or physically abusive. Examining our role in conflict, allows us an opportunity to make another choice. When we forgive others, we determine the role the other person plays in our lives; full reentry of the other is not required. Setting boundaries are necessary in order to guard ourselves from ego-based actions of selfishness, betrayal, rejection, inconsiderate, spiteful and careless behaviors of others. No experience is wasted. Forgiveness is soul-inspired, forgiveness is freedom.

In all you’re getting, get understanding (Proverbs 4:7). To understand all is to forgive all. We treat others based on our level of awareness. Jesus demonstrates this when He asked forgiveness from God; Father, forgive them for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34). Say silently to the other “You my brother or sister, you have wronged me in the past. I now understand that it was because you were unaware and did not see clearly. I no longer feel anger toward you.” Forgiveness only works when combined with compassion. Forgiveness is for you, not the other person; we are doing our work for ourselves; for our soul connection with God. True awareness of another’s situation results in compassion. If you are working on forgiving and you remain angry, you probably want revenge.

First forgive yourself for believing things about yourself and others that are not true. Acknowledge when you are practicing ego-based conduct (inappropriate behavior, judgment of others, needing to be right, and my way is the only way). Allow soul qualities of love and compassion to replace unforgiveness. Forgive seven times seventy (Matthew 18:22). When we ask God to forgive our shortcomings, we are expected to forgive others (Matthew 6:12). The soul qualities establish harmony, inner peace, unity, and responsibility. When an unfortunate event happens to the person you forgave and you feel satisfaction with thoughts of “served them right” or “they got what they deserved” you did not truly forgive. The litmus test for true forgiveness maintains a sense of compassion for the other.

Self-Assessment:
 
Who am I and why am I here?
What are my core qualities?
What does forgiveness mean?
What prevents me from forgiving others?
Am I aware when my actions and words offend others?
Are there things I cannot forgive myself for doing?
Do I hate those who hate me?
Are there things in my heart I cannot forgive myself for doing?
Is holding my ground, defending my position, promoting my opinion making me feel better?
If my life depended on it, could I let it go? Can I drop the story of why and because.
How and what offends me?
Why is it necessary to forgive?
Is the need for revenge greater than a desire to forgive?
What needs to be forgiven, and am I willing to forgive?

Forgiveness Practices:

  • The Forgiveness Diet: Forgiveness is a spiritual laxative which cleanses the mind, heart and spirit of impurities. Forgiveness opens the channel of goodness/God to flow - creating love, joy, happiness, success, and peace. You will need a notebook, 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night. On a clear page, number every other line, 1 through 35. Write the following sentences 35 times: I forgive myself totally and unconditionally for______________________. I forgive ______________________totally and unconditionally. Do not pick and choose who you will or will not forgive. Do not think before you write. Write whatever name comes to mind. Try to write 35 different names, if one name is repeated, that is fine. When you have repeated the exercise, take a long deep breath and close the book. Repeat this exercise twice a day, before noon and before midnight for 7 days. If you miss a day, start over. True forgiveness requires work. Missing a day reflects the resistance of your unconscious mind to releasing the pain. Be gentle with yourself and keep trying. Don’t be alarmed if you see or hear from the person you are forgiving and releasing. Spirit will show you whether you have completed your task. Pay attention on how you respond to situations. You will experience a sense of freedom when you totally forgive (Tapping the Power Within by Iyanla Vanzant)
  • Affirmation: I take full responsibility for my actions and forgive myself for all that I have knowingly or unknowingly done to hurt myself and any other individuals. I release myself from the bondage of on forgiveness. I am free, free in the freedom that has always been mine. I claim it now. Guilt, shame, and blame are now neutralized by the unconditional love, compassion, and forgiveness which saturate my awareness, my heart, my entire being. Right here and right now I am cleansed of the toxin of unforgiveness. I begin afresh and give thanks for this realization. I free myself and I free you from all blame of knowingly or unknowingly hurting me. Through the power of forgiveness all is well between our spirits. You are free and I am free. All is well between us (Lifevisioning by Michael Beckwith).

Think forgiving thoughts and speak forgiving words. What do we “give for” the other? In the process of forgiveness, we give love, joy, goodwill, and all the blessings of life to the other. We wish for the other, health, happiness, and peace. That is what the scripture means to forgive seven times seventy (Matthew 18:22). Forgiveness is love in action. God is Love. Make love the goal of your life.

What is your process of forgiving self and others? Develop your own spiritual practice?

Peace and Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment